November 1, 2002
From the E-Mail BagBecause cool, clear water is a life force in many manufacturing operations -- it cools, cleans and can be counted on to run pure and steady -- we thought you might enjoy these interesting factoids about water that landed in our e-mail bag.
- 75 percent of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
- In 37 percent of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it often is mistaken for hunger.
- Even mild dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3 percent.
- One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pains for almost 100 percent of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
- Lack of water is the No. 1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
- Preliminary research indicates that eight to 10 glasses of water per day could
significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80 percent of sufferers.
- A mere 2 percent drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
- Drinking five glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45 percent, breast cancer by 79 percent and bladder cancer by 50 percent.
- Are you drinking the amount of water you should everyday?