The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration issued nine serious safety violations to Americold Logistics, a food industry provider of cold storage warehousing and logistical services.
A January 2016 complaint found the company violated OSHA's process safety management procedures for using ammonia in its refrigeration warehouse facility. An investigation found that the company failed to:
- Identify ammonia refrigeration piping by name and direction of flow.
- Correct equipment deficiencies.
- Follow good engineering practices.
- Train workers on startup procedures.
- Conduct training on confined space rescue procedures.
- Train workers on the hazardous chemicals in use.
- Close electrical openings.
Prevent electrical equipment from being exposed to water and moisture.
The proposed penalties total nearly $55,000.