ASHRAE, IIR Establish Definitions of Five Refrigeration Keywords
ASHRAE and the International Institute of Refrigeration (IIR) established definitions for five refrigeration keywords: cooling, refrigeration, chilling, freezing and cold chain. The definitions are the result of more than a year of discussions and were established to clarify the meaning of basic terminology.
To avoid confusion, the official definitions are:
- Cooling – removal of heat, usually resulting in a lower temperature or phase change; lowering temperature.
- Refrigeration – cooling of a space, substance or system to lower or maintain its temperature below the ambient one (removed heat is rejected at a higher temperature); artificial cooling.
- Chilling – cooling of a substance without freezing it.
- Freezing – solidification phase change of a liquid or the liquid content of a substance, usually due to cooling.
- Cold chain – series of actions and equipment applied to maintain a product within a specified low temperature range from harvest/production to consumption.
IIR has called on all national and regional organizations and associations to adopt and disseminate the new definitions.