Drew Turner, the Global Marketing Manager for Danfoss Sector Integration, will speak at the Process Heating & Cooling Show on June 16 about combining process cooling and heating systems via electrification to help facilities achieve decarbonization goals.
In an interview with editor Linda Becker, Drew talks about how heat recovered from the process cooling operation can be used for the electrification of the process heating equipment. Drew makes the case that in applications where such an approach makes sense, the payback includes helping the facility meet its decarbonization goals.
“Where do the opportunities related to the electrification of process heating and cooling lie? What you look for is your higher temperature cooling side and your lower temperature heating side. This results in a limitation of the differential the heat pump has to accomplish, to then make sure you are going to have an efficient solution that is going to provide an effective payback vs. the fossil fuel sources that you are replacing,” says Turner.
- Can you tell me a little more about that? For example, how do you get started? How do you evaluate whether a process is suitable for combining process cooling and heating systems together for optimization? [0:46]
- What are some of the main benefits? [3:13]
- So obviously, there are going to be applications that are better suited to this approach than others. Is there a temperature range within which this makes the most sense? What would be some of the limitations to using this approach? [4:26]
- Are there any drawbacks to this approach? [5:23]
- What positive results should a company combining process cooling and heating systems together expect? For example, what is a reasonable payback? [6:34]
- You had alluded to the hybrid approach you're taking with a lot of these applications. Can you tell me a little more about that? [8:50]
- How is your company positioned to help people achieve this? [10:13]
- From your perspective, what are some of the major challenges for the thermal process industry right now? [12:17]
- Based on your experience, what are some of the ways to handle these challenges? [13:51]
- Companies are being held to these decarbonization goals, but yet not all of the pieces are in place to put in place electric solutions to decarbonize the processes. So you play the long game? [15:11]
- Finally, if you were sitting next to a leading expert in your field right now, what would you ask them? [16:12]
Listen to the Podcast:
The Process Cooling & Heating Show is the only tradeshow and conference that focuses exclusively on industrial heating and cooling equipment, components and supplies used in the process industries. To learn more about the Process Heating & Cooling show, or to register, visit heatingcoolingshow.com.
Listen to other episodes in this podcast series on Process Cooling’s podcasts page.