Carlsberg has been fined approximately $3.6 million after a worker was killed during an ammonia leak at its U.K. brewery in November 2016.
David Chandler, 45, died after gas leaked from the refrigeration system at Carlsberg in Northampton. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said it found Carlsberg had failed to put proper controls in place.
HSE said Carlsberg had failed to put in place appropriate isolation controls to prevent exposure to ammonia before work started to remove a compressor from a refrigeration system. While the compressor was being removed, there was a large, uncontrolled release of ammonia.
One worker was seriously injured and 20 other people, including emergency service workers, needed medical attention.
Report Abusive Comment